Backbase Connect 2019 is almost here!
While we hope you’re excited to learn about banking in the Neo Reality, let’s not forget that you’ll be in one of the most stunning cities in the world. We hope you love Amsterdam as much as we do, and to get you in the mood, we’ve put together some city tips.
They say there are more bikes here than people. We believe it. There’s no better way to see the city than by hopping on a bike. Don’t be intimidated by the Dutch though, just follow some basic tips:
- Keep in the bike lane on the right. Sometimes this means being on the other side of a canal.
- Signal when you turn. Just point in the direction you’re going with your right or left hand.
- Use your bell to alert pedestrians in the way. But do it sparingly.
- Make sure you’re comfortable with pedal brakes, or rent a bike with hand brakes.
- Cross tram tracks diagonally. Otherwise your tire might get stuck.
- “Uitgezonderd” means you can go!
- Also, have fun!
There are museums and art galleries aplenty. From the Van Gogh Museum and the Rijksmuseum to World War 2 history at the Verzetsmuseum—there is endless culture to soak up. Check online for tickets beforehand, it can often save you time.
With 165 canals in Amsterdam, taking a tour by boat is a beloved pastime. Explore your options—some come with champagne, others pancakes, and all with a great perspective of the city.
Amsterdam is an international city with food to match. Make sure you take advantage of some great food (other than the Connect catering) while you’re here. Want a taste of Dutch culture? Try the bitterballen.
We hope this small list helps you make the most of Amsterdam. If you have any questions or concerns at all, please reach out to [email protected].
See you soon!