Principal UX Researcher
Principal UX Researcher
At Backbase, we're on a mission to reimagine banking and re-architect it around the customer. Our goal: Improve the financial wellness of 10% of the world’s population! This is where you come in; the role is focused on leading the craft of UX Research and managing our team of user research experts. You will be responsible for continuously improving the practice of UX Research at Backbase, whilst ensuring humans are at the heart of everything we do.
What you'll do
The Principal UX Researcher is a key member of the product design discipline at Backbase. You will work closely with your principal design peers to promote UX Research standards and ensure they are the foundation for insight-driven decision making.
You are passionate about people, and the experiences we create, connecting user needs to business goals. Your primary responsibility will be improving our products and research quality, whilst supporting and mentoring researchers in their professional development.
At Backbase, our UX Research team functions across the R&D organization, with researchers working together with design, development, and product practitioners. Your role will be to oversee research projects from across our Engagement Banking Platform and ensure that we are focused on delivering value for users and impact to the business.
UX Research is not new to Backbase. Over the past five years we’ve already covered a lot of ground, establishing a smart and dedicated team of 8 specialists. You’ll be fundamental in the success of our research talent and there to provide coaching and guidance in support of their careers. The opportunity is also to further mature the craft with your motivated team and extend its visibility and impact within the organization.
This role also provides the opportunity to collaborate with Design and Product Leadership and get ‘hands on’ as an individual contributor for priority research activities or Design Sprints that shape our future products and features.
Alongside leading the UX Research craft, we are looking for a person who can:
● Champion the the best practice around qualitative and quantitative research methods, working with Design and Product Management to establish standards and rollout frameworks;
● Become a key part of the central design hub, where you will support the overall;
● Design strategy and establish goals together with your team;
● Manage and extend the suite of research tools and platforms; such as participant recruitment, analysis and repository tooling;
● Act as an ambassador for both evaluative and exploratory research that generates successful outcomes for end-users, our clients, and Backbase;
● Support and review the research activities of your team and collectively improve the way we gather, test, synthesize, present and apply findings;
● Further promote UX Research across the organization, educating, influencing and guiding stakeholders;
● Work with the Product Directors, Principal Designers and your team to agree research plans, review progress and forge effective product partnerships;
● Collaborate with the UX Director and UX Design Leadership to align principles and support the UX community;
● Work together with DesignOps to continuously improve UX Research processes, tools and methodologies;
● Contribute to complementary areas of data and analytics that helps us understand the behavior of users and optimize our products.
Who you are
In order to really excel in this role, we believe that you will need the following:
● Proactive and passionate personality, with a natural enthusiasm for sharing the benefits of UX Research to a wide range of team members and stakeholders;
● A natural curiosity in the ‘how and why’ people use banking and financial apps;
● Practical experience with qualitative and quantitative research methods and the ability to articulate and visualize the results;
● Proven management skills and capability to strike a balance between short term, tactical efforts and long term, strategic efforts;
● More than 8 years professional experience in the domain of UX, with at least 5 years specializing in User research;
● You have at least 3-4 years People Management experience including recruitment;
● BS degree in Social Sciences, HCI, Cognitive Psychology or similar areas (Master’s degree a plus);
● Backbase are the market leaders in ‘Engagement Banking’ with upwards of 70 million customers and bank employees using our products every day.
Join our team at Backbase, one of the LinkedIn Top Companies of 2023 in the Netherlands! We're known for our great work environment and providing opportunities for career growth. We’re also committed to fostering a culture of collaboration, innovation, and growth. As a member of our team, you'll have the chance to work with some of the brightest and most talented people in the industry, as well as help shape the future of digital banking. Come join us and be part of something special.
Loud and busy sometimes but always friendly, helpful, and super fun. We love to celebrate each other’s achievements, share jokes, and our love for food, movies, traveling, and sports. We’re one big and diverse family working towards the same goal.
Free, healthy lunches every day. Plus snacks and drinks.
Friday parties every month. Office boat you can use with your team.
Discounted gym membership through our corporate fitness plan.
Specific budget for your personal development.
You can wear clothes you feel comfortable in.
High spec equipment
We provide all employees with high-spec Macs and tech set up.